With the Rivendell supplement, heroes in The One Ring Roleplaying Game can now venture over the Misty Mountains to explore the ancient lands of Eastern Eriador. And, with the supplement winging its way to our warehouse, it’ll be coming to a gaming table near you in print format very soon indeed.
We talked a little last week about how The One Ring campaign is set, by default, in Wilderland. Well, with the release of Rivendell, Wilderland is no longer the only place for a fellowship to find adventure – adventure awaits over the Misty Mountains in Eriador!
Alongside a detailed chapter describing the Vale of Imladris, Rivendell describes the lands of Eastern Eriador, taking in Angmar in the North, Eregion in the East, Tharbad in the south and the Barrow-downs in the West, and everywhere in between, territories that were once part of the lost realm of Arnor.
More so than the lands of Wilderland, eastern Eriador is an empty land. Once home to great kingdoms and long lines of noble Men, their descendants have long since been scattered by years of plague, war and flood. Few now remain; certainly no settlements exist east of Bree that are larger than a hidden hamlet or well-defended farmstead.
The landscape of this region is dotted with the ruins of ancient realms and it is hard for travellers to ignore the shadow of what once was. Atop every hill stand the remains of a tumbled-down watchtower, beside every path is a crumbling wall. When the company breaks for the night, they might well find they share their campsite with an old statue.
As with The Heart of the Wild, each region is described in exacting detail, complete with NPCs who can be encountered there, notable locations that can be explored, plot hooks, Fellowship undertakings, hazards and more besides. From the Elven ruins of the Whispering Halls in Eregion to the Queen of Castle Hill, the monster who calls the Trollshaws her domain, there is plenty of adventure to be found in Eastern Eriador.
And, as with The Heart of the Wild, the Rivendell supplement is just one part of adventuring in Eriador...
More About Rivendell
This setting supplement will take your adventures west across the Misty Mountains to the Last Homely House, expanding play into eastern Eriador, covering not only Rivendell itself, but Angmar, Fornost, Mount Gram, Tharbad and everywhere in between.
There are also rules for creating your own Magical Treasure; playing Rangers of the North and High Elves of Rivendell; turning the baleful Eye of Mordor on your company; and facing more powerful adversaries than ever before.
Rivendell is written by Francesco Nepitello, with additional contributions from Amado Angulo, Shane Ivey, Andrew Kenrick, Marco Maggi, Thomas Morwinsky and James M. Spahn. It is lavishly illustrated by Jon Hodgson, Jan Pospíšil and Jeremy McHugh, with fantastic maps of Eastern Eriador created by Paul Bourne.
This hardcover, 144-page, full-colour supplement includes:
- Background for the Last Homely House, the sanctuary of Rivendell itself.
- Write-ups of the characters that might be encountered in Imladris, from Elrond and Arwen to Glorfindel and the White Council.
- New Fellowship undertakings, including rules for composing your own songs.
- A history of Arnor, Angmar and the Dúnedain.
- A region guide to Eastern Eriador, including the Barrow-downs, the Trollshaws and Angmar.
- New adversaries to face, including Ettins, Hill-men of Rhudaur and the toughest Troll of them all, the Queen of Castle Hill.
- A bestiary of different types of undead creatures, from Bog Soldiers and Barrow-wights to the Lord of the Nazgûl himself, the Witch-king of Angmar.
- Rules for powerful adversaries, allowing you to customise any monster to provide a challenge for even the most heroic of adventurers.
- A set of optional rules, the Eye of Mordor, to track how much attention the Enemy reserves for the company.
- Rules for adding Magical Treasure to your campaign, including dozens of ready-made artefacts, some famous, others less so.
- Two new playable Heroic Cultures: the Rangers of the North and the High Elves of Rivendell.
Rivendell is currently on its way from our printers to our warehouse, from where it will be shipped to our pre-order customers and to gaming stores the world over!